Sunday, May 27, 2012

The Book Thing.

So, I was talking with Ben about the papers I had written in college, specifically the papers that I wrote in my senior year. I wrote a paper about the nuclear bomb as portrayed in Cold War film and media which proved meandering but completely engrossing to write and research.

I was explaining to him that the film The Manchurian Candidate came out at the height of the Cuban Missile crisis, and than contrasted the media reaction to films with sensitive material coming out after the attacks of 9/11 (specifically the postponement of the release of the film Big Trouble, which featured a plane hijacking as a major plot point.)

After a lengthy discussion, we started compiling an outline for a book about the systemic shift among the American public and media in their reactions to film and television from the era of World War II to the post 9/11 era, specifically regarding violent conflicts and their portrayals.

The real reason I think that this book is worth pursuing is that my generation and I were the target audience for the films made after the post 9/11 period, both from an escapist, "comfort-food" angle, and in the films examining the whys and wherefores of the 9/11 tragedy and Iraq War.

Whaddia think, reading audience?

2 comments:

  1. I think it sounds like a great premise, and it's clearly one you're interested in! :) Go for it.

    I don't know if this is directly related to your premise or not, but you might be interested in investigating (completely academically, of course :P ) the video game Fallout 3, which was released considerably post 9/11 (October 2008) but which has a deliberately 1950s aesthetic, since it's a post-apocalyptic alternate future meant to send up/spoof/throw back to 1950s visions of the future and of the potential of nuclear war.

    Anyway, it's not film or television but it's something that occurred to me, reading your basic thoughts. :) But yeah, go for it. I'd be happy to offer feedback if you need a new set of eyes across anything, but it sounds like a great idea. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Premise is awesome.
    Now...when does the work begin?

    ReplyDelete