Saturday, May 12, 2012

More storytime...

And written at a time when I am not about to keel over with exhaustion. Yay Saturdays!

In the aftermath of the crazy, I decided to let go of a major part of what was stressing me out, namely the job that was literally giving me hives. After floundering around in the unemployment pool (including working for a scam artist for a terrible week), I found a job at a costume construction shop in Manhattan, shopping for Broadway costumes. I learned a ton about fabric, being nice to doormen, the garment district, and also about not putting up with verbal abuse. (This shop was MESSED UP. The owners would routinely WAIL at the top of their lungs or scream at employees, while everyone around them would be expected to act as if nothing abnormal was happening.)

On the day that my direct supervisor decided to call me stupid to my face, I decided enough was enough. I marched down to one of the fabric shops where I had been a frequent patron with my resume, and was fortunate enough to have walked in right as they were hiring for Halloween (the busiest time in fabric-shoppingdom), so I was asked if I could come in the next Monday. I've been working there ever since (starting on the sales floor, then having them figure out that I'm bad at sales but good at talking to people, so being moved to giving tours and chatting with out of towners, and finally to my current position of being receptionist/Director of Student Activities.)

Just found out that we have to be in CA by August 20th. Dates are exciting and scary.

No comments:

Post a Comment